No Mistakes;Never Swallow Swimming Pool Water!! (My Personal Story)

swimming pool

So for few days after visiting the swimming pool, i have been struggling with a whole lot ranging from common cold, sore throat and ear discharge of which my whole system has been surviving with Ceftriaxone flushes.

Its summer and nothing feels better than jumping into a lake or a pool filled with refreshing sky-blue water, but you may want to think twice before you take a dip because that enticing water may be teeming with bacteria and parasites that could spoil your summertime fun.

Public pool water can be a source of harmful germs such as E. coli bacteria and the parasites cryptosporidium (crypto) and giardia, which tend to spread when there is not enough chlorine in the pool, or the pH levels are too low. Some of the symptoms that may a result from infection with these three organisms include diarrhea, stomach cramps, weight loss, nausea, vomiting and dehydration.

But even if a pool does smell of chlorine, it does not mean that it is devoid of nasty bacteria and dirt.

Many people think that when a swimming pool smells of chlorine, that means that it’s clean But that smell is actually chloramines, a substance that results from a mix of chlorine and bacteria, urine and sweat.” A really healthy and clean pool would not have an odor at all, so BEWARE!!!

There are other organisms in pools and lakes that can make people sick. Freshwater lakes and streams can contain a type of bacteria called leptospirosis, which comes from the urine of mammals that drink the water. (Animals tend to pee into the same water they drink.) Some of the leptospirosis infection symptoms include fever, headache and muscles aches, but the condition is usually treatable.

SEE ALSOThe Amazing Effects Of Chlorine On Wounds.

Chlorine can take days to kill off some of this parasites and during that time swimmers can pick it up by swallowing contaminated swimming pool water. The CDC’s report shows that the parasite is becoming more common. And while you’re probably not going around guzzling down swimming pool water on purpose, it’s easy to accidentally swallow some.


While the news is certainly a bummer, you shouldn’t live your life in fear of germs, and you don’t need to swear off pools for the rest of your days but definitely if you maintain a high level of cleanliness like me *winks* and easily allergic to foreign substances, then you should stay off/away from public pools as i have decided too.This includes immuno-suppressed individuals too

About Vivian 205 Articles
Registered Nurse Fitness Model Beautician Health Promoter


Leave a Reply